Being Human Management Training
“Every manager at every level needs this training! It’s truly world-tilting in the very best way. When I think of all the managers working without meaningful training, real-life context, or thoughtful support, I feel entirely discouraged. This training offers a bright glimmer of hope: the more managers in the world who lead this way, the better off we’ll be as a workforce, a business community, and as people working together. The mix of accessible and impactful concepts, small-group practice, and personal work have all helped this work take root in my own management practice – and I’m already seeing a positive shift.” Rachel Zink, Spring 2022 Training Participant
Managing is hard work. It can push all kinds of buttons that distract us from being present with one another. That’s because we’re human – whether we are seasoned managers or brand new to our roles. The key to successful management is learning how to keep human relationship at the center of all work. The good news is that managing well is a skill that can be taught to all levels. That’s what this course is for.
Our Human Approach To Training
You’ll attend this training outside of your work system and community. This means that you can show up without the pressure of co-workers and existing workplace dynamics at the table. Together with managers from other businesses who also seek a more relational management approach, you will practice being fully human in the workplace. This means bringing your curiosity, vulnerability, humility, and a healthy dose of a “fail-fail again-fail better” approach at all times.
We realize that your unique expertise and experience will enhance our mutual learning. All participants will bring their specific management scenarios and needs to confidential, shared conversations about what it means and takes to become a more human leader.
Presence is the foundation of working into right relationship. What does it take to show up for your team? We’ll practice this together.
Listening Fully and Communicating Directly
These interrelated skills show up everywhere, which is why they weave throughout the training course. Our training will help you build skills and get feedback from peers before going back to your own workplace.
Collaborating to Create
Collaboration is another core practice of the Being Human management approach. Our interactive training environment allows you to work with peers to build the right tools and strategies for different work environments.
Together, we’ll create an engaging (and fun) learning environment where you will build skills your team will notice and appreciate.
32-hour course delivered over 12-week period
- 16 hours of in-person group training
- 16 hours of individual real-life practice
- Groups capped at 15 participants to support personalized learning
You’ll prepare for the in-person training by spending one hour weekly reflecting intentionally on your work as a manager. This preparation includes a survey for the people on your team to complete. These personal reflections and employee feedback will help you understand your current management practices and surface areas of both strength and weakness.
You’ll engage a core curriculum delivered in weekly two-hour training sessions plus an additional 90 minutes of collaborative and self-paced activities between sessions.
In between trainings, you’ll practice what you are learning each week:
With your team
You’ll test and try out new skills and strategies. Back in class the following week, you’ll learn from and build on one another’s successes and mishaps.
With a rotating small group from the cohort
You’ll connect for weekly practice sessions focusing on different tools.
Developing core management skills, including
- Providing training, ongoing staff development, and support throughout the life cycle of an employee;
- Understanding the three different management modalities and when to apply them;
- Developing an understanding of how power and cultures of dominance show up in the day-to-day of management;
- Having difficult conversations;
- Hiring and firing;
- Transitioning teams to employee-directed work plans; and
- Using effective evaluations that inspire growth.
Practicing clear and transparent communication
- Learning to hear and respond to your employees;
- Building rapport and trust;
- Setting clear expectations and following-up;
- Requesting, receiving, and responding to feedback; and
- Giving feedback including genuine praise.
Building a team environment
- Cultivating teams that collaborate;
- Nurturing peer support models;
- Facilitating effective and enjoyable meetings; and
- Managing conflict.
Leading in collaboration
- Gathering and integrating employee input into decision-making;
- Developing accountability systems for supervisors and employees;
- Understanding and naming your own growing edges; and
- Having grace for yourself and others. We’re all human after all.
Standard Fee: $890 per participant
Fall 2023 (Asheville, NC): Training in progress. Connect with us on social media for glimpses into this cohort’s learning.
Winter 2024 (Asheville, NC): Sign up for our enews and be the first to hear when we announce our winter training dates.
COVID Policy: The in-person portion of the training occurs at Focal Point Coworking which upgraded its HVAC system to ensure clean air and circulation. In-person sessions will follow CDC guidelines to ensure the health and well-being of all participants. As COVID necessitates, we will pivot to an online training. Either in person or online, we commit to providing a dynamic and interactive learning environment.